Saturday 19 October 2013

Witch Shoe Buckles

Our school is performing 'The Wizard of Oz' next week.  I've volunteered to help with costumes.  So far I've made:

1. Kentucky Tie (like Colonel Sanders (KFC) wears)
2. 1 Cocktail Hat (to match the other 10 existing hats)
3. 11 Cummerband Sequin Sashes for the Poppy Dancers (you know, that part where Dorothy falls asleep in the flowers on her way to Emerald City).

The last thing I need to make is a pair of shoe buckles for that old Wicked Witch of the West.  I searched through Pinterest and couldn't find a Pin for making my own buckles.  There are plenty of costume companies that sell shoes with buckles, or buckles on their own but I've got 24 hours and need to make it myself.  Then I found this Pin.


This Week's Pin:  Witch Shoe Buckles
Who's This For:  The Witch in the School Musical
Price:  Zero - make it from what you have

The website, craftysisters-nc.blogspot explains the steps to create a fantastic with cake with shoes as the base with green buckles on the shoes.  

I'm only interested in the shoes but the variety of buckles shown was definitely food for thought.  The website doesn't have a template for me to use however, the shapes of the buckles below gave me ideas for my own.


I used an old colouring-in book and removed the cardboard cover.  I sketched a buckle shape and cut it using a craft knife.

When it was done, I traced it to make an identical buckle.



Using PVA (wood) glue, I covered the buckles and then sprinkled with green glitter.  Use whatever you have - silver, gold leftover from Christmas.  You could even spray paint them if you have that on hand.




When dry, I covered in Mod Podge because I realised that Mod Podge will seal and glue and stiffen all in the one go!  I gave it another sprinkle with more green glitter.

I painted the back with silver paint and once the mod podge dried clear, I painted a fine line of silver around the top side of the buckle.  The mod podge transformed the texture of the buckle from cardboard to a soft, supple, latex feel, it bends but can hold it's shape and won't tear.
To wear the buckle over your shoe, simply make a loop of black elastic and thread it through the buckle and stitch.   Then, it simply slips over the end of your shoe and the elastic holds it tightly.

Well, I hope Witchy likes them and I think they'll stand out on stage.  Just what I was looking for.  Would I do anything differently next time?  Yes, I think the holes are too large, I'll make them more narrow next time.  Preparing for Halloween?  Make some for yourself.

Soops
"The moral of Snow White is never eat apples."
   Lemony Snicket


No comments :

Post a Comment