Wednesday 24 April 2013

Fluffy Marshmallow Icing

I was asked to make cupcakes for a family birthday and usually I ice them with butter cream icing but I wanted to try some marshmallow icing.  Many recipes I found on Pinterest are made by melting marshmallows however I wanted to make the real thing.  I found this:



Week 2 Pin: Marshmallow Icing
Original Source: Cake Duchess
Difficulty: Simple but don't get distracted 
and Adults Only - the Sugar Syrup's Hot!

I cooked mini red velvet cupcakes and thought they would be perfect with marshmallow icing.  The Cake Duchess (http://www.cakeduchess.com/2012/04/fluffy-white-icing-marshmallow-frosting.html) tells about the origin of the Italian Meringue frosting that her grandmother made for her and this recipe is her mother's version.  

Ingredients:
1 cup of granulated  white sugar (not powdered sugar) 
4 egg whites, room temperature 
1/3 cup of water 
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar 
1 teaspoon vanilla











It was simple:  The sugar syrup is boiled on the stove, don't mix it but make sure you watch it and don't let it brown.  Whip the egg whites and when stiff peaks form, add the boiling syrup (yes, 245 degrees is too hot to get the kids involved) and whip for 7 minutes.  

The recipe was too much for cupcakes, so I will halve the quantity in the future.  What was left over I plopped on a baking tray, drizzled with vanilla, as I forgot to add it to my marshmallow and baked in a low oven for 45 minutes.  Every time I opened the oven to check on the progress, my daughter and I were taking chunks to test the texture and progress.  By the time it was finished cooking, the tray was almost completely empty.  As a bonus, I discovered that this is the perfect topping for a lemon meringue pie.  It browned, remained fluffy underneath and when you ate it, it transformed into delicious toffee.  

This recipe is now typed up and in my recipe collection for ever.

I have an invitation to my Niece's Baby Shower, so next week I'm creating something for the baby.

Soops

The purpose of our lives is to be happy.     Dalai Lama

1 comment :

  1. Looks great- off to try it now...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete